CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"Solids"


Can you tell what new food was introduced last week?


Colby has been eating "solids" for a few months now. He is finally over the reflex of pushing the food out of his mouth with his tongue. He did this at 4 and 5 months when I tried to spoon feed him rice cereal. What a mess that made!

Each day at lunch, I sit him in his Bumbo on the kitchen table. As soon as I get his bib and tray on he automatically waits with his mouth open. I call him my baby bird. I haven't found a food he doesn't like. Unlike his picky father, Colby likes: Sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, bananas, avocados, applesauce, peaches and most recently peas, in case you couldn't figure out the picture!

I've been making quite a bit of Colby's food. It is very easy and quite inexpensive compared to the packaged baby foods. For $ 0.98 I made 10 containers of sweet potatoes. One package of frozen peas cost $ 0.89 and made 7 containers. A small package of fresh carrots cost $1.49 and made 7 containers. After cooking the veggies I run them through a food processor, thin them down with some water, and then package and freeze them.

I've started to let him feed himself Cheerios and small banana pieces. Since this is new, he usualy just plays with the food. This surprised me because nearly everything in his hand goes straight to the mouth. We are having fun learning and getting a little messy along the way.

0 comments: